The first official information we have about the property is from July 1, 1922, showing that it was part of the Clear Lake Villas subdivision.
What happened between 1922 and 1994 is pretty much unknown. Apparently, however, the Aurora was “the happening spot” on the lake in the 1950s-1970s. There was a restaurant that was exceedingly popular, and a pier that extended past Otter Island. On the pier, people would be packed shoulder to shoulder, watching boat races.
There was also a boat repair shop in the large (6,000 square foot) building that now is being used mostly for storage. Where the pilings are still seen (about 100 yards out from the sea wall) there was a breakwater that protected the interior from the large waves that develop every once in a while. That breakwater allowed the owners to put in a full dock system, where many people apparently stored their boats. The remains of the breakwater are now below the surface, and reportedly those remains serve as habitat for bass, catfish and other desired fish species.
It appears that sometime around 1994, Daniel T. Brennan obtained a permit to put 51 RV spaces on the property north of Lakeshore Boulevard. Whether the spaces south of the road were already in place or if they were installed later is uncertain.
Correspondence from January 1999 indicates that a Sam Lamonica purchased the park around that date. Sometime between 1999 and 2004 the property was purchased by the Robinson Rancheria. It was sold to the present owner, Nice RV Park, LLC, in 2015.
Because the RV spaces were put in decades ago (before the advent of slide-outs), the spaces are narrow by today’s standards. This is especially true for the seven lakefront spaces, which presumably were built before the spaces on the north campus. Nonetheless, we are able to fit rigs of all sizes, and even when those lakefront spaces are all full, guests seem to manage fine, adequately maintaining their privacy. It seems that everyone is willing to accept the close proximity to their neighbors in order to experience the magnificent views that are virtually always present for those right on the waterfront.